Disrupts DNA synthesis in susceptible organisms.
Resolution of bacterial vaginosis.Spectrum:
Active against Bacteroides spp., Gardnerella vaginalis, Prevotella spp., and Mobiluncus spp.
Absorption: Rapidly and completely absorbed following oral administration.
Distribution: Extensively distributed to tissues.
Metabolism and Excretion: Primarily metabolized by CYP450 system in liver; 15% excreted unchanged in urine.
Half-life: 17 hr.
TIME/ACTION PROFILE (plasma concentrations)
- Hypersensitivity; cross sensitivity with other imidazoles may occur;
- Lactation: Avoid breast feeding.
Use Cautiously in:
- OB: Safety not established in pregnancy;
- Pedi: Safety and effectiveness not established.
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
GI: abdominal pain, diarrhea, metallic taste, nausea, vomiting
GU: vulvovaginal candidiasis, vulvovaginal pruritus
* CAPITALS indicate life-threatening.
Underline indicate most frequent.
PO (Adults) 2–g single dose.
Oral granules: 2 g/pkt
- Assess for symptoms of bacterial vaginosis before and periodically following secnidazole.
Lab Test Considerations:
Obtain specimen for culture and sensitivity before starting therapy.
- PO Administer packet once without regard to meals. Open packet and sprinkle entire contents onto applesauce, yogurt or pudding. Granules will not dissolve. Consume all of the mixture within 30 min without chewing or crunching granules. May be followed with a glass of water to aid in swallowing. Granules are not intended to be dissolved in any liquid.
- Instruct patient in correct technique for taking secnidazole. Advise patient to read Patient Information before taking secnidazole.
- Advise patient to notify health care professional if signs and symptoms of vulvovaginal candidiasis (vaginal itching, white or yellowish discharge (discharge may be lumpy or look like cottage cheese) occur. May require treatment with antifungal agents.
- Advise patient to notify health care professional of all Rx or OTC medications, vitamins, or herbal products being taken and to consult with health care professional before taking other medications during therapy.
- Advise patient to notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected. Advise female patient to avoid breast feeding for at least 96 hrs (4 days) following secnidazole dose.
Resolution of bacterial vaginosis.
Nursing Central is the award-winning, complete mobile solution for nurses and students. Look up information on diseases, tests, and procedures; then consult the database with 5,000+ drugs or refer to 65,000+ dictionary terms. Complete Product Information.