This monograph describes a medication approved for use in Canada by the Therapeutic Products Directorate, a division of Health Canada’s Health Products and Food Branch. The medication is not approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration; however, a similar formulation carrying a different generic or brand name might be available in the US.
lower gastrointestinal tract motility regulators
- Symptomatic treatment of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- Treatment of postoperative paralytic ileus.
Acts as a spasmolytic.
- ↓ symptoms of IBS.
- Resumption of intestinal transit following abdominal surgical procedures.
Absorption: Rapidly absorbed following oral administration.
Metabolism and Excretion: Extensively metabolized, <2.4% excreted unchanged in urine.
Half-life: 2.7–3.1 hr.
TIME/ACTION PROFILE (symptom relief)
|PO||within 3 days–2 wk||1 hr (blood level)||>1 wk (following discontinuation)|
Use Cautiously in:
- OB: Not recommended for use;
- Pedi: Children <12 yr (safety and effectiveness not established).
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
CNS: dizziness, drowsiness, fatigue, headache
GI: diarrhea, dry mouth, dysguesia, dyspepsia, epigastric pain, nausea
Derm: hot/cold sensation, rash
* CAPITALS indicate life-threatening.
Underline indicate most frequent.
PO (Adults): 200 mg 3 times daily.
Tablets: 100 mg, 200 mg
- Assess for symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (cramping, constipation and diarrhea, mucus in stools).
- Assess for abdominal distention and assess bowel sounds.
- Monitor intake and output and record.
- Acute pain
- PO Administer three times daily before meals.
- Instruct patient to take trimebutine as directed.
- Advise female patient to inform health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breast feeding.
Decrease signs and symptoms of irritable bowel disease.
Nursing Central is an award-winning, complete mobile solution for nurses and students. Look up information on diseases, tests, and procedures; then consult the database with 5,000+ drugs or refer to 65,000+ dictionary terms. Complete Product Information.