Tuning Fork Tests
is a topic covered in the Davis's Lab & Diagnostic Tests
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Nursing Central is the award-winning, complete mobile solution for nurses and students. Look up information on diseases, tests, and procedures; then consult the database with 5,000+ drugs or refer to 65,000+ dictionary terms. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
Bing test, Rinne test, Schwabach test, Weber test.
To assess for and determine type of hearing loss.
There are no food, fluid, activity, or medication restrictions unless by medical direction.
- Normal air and bone conduction in both ears; no evidence of hearing loss
- Bing Test: Pulsating sound that gets louder and softer when the opening to the ear canal is alternately opened and closed (Note: This result, observed in patients with normal hearing, is also observed in patients with sensorineural hearing loss.)
- Rinne Test: Longer and louder tone heard by air conduction than by bone conduction (Note: This result, observed in patients with normal hearing, is also observed in patients with sensorineural hearing loss.)
- Schwabach Test: Same tone loudness heard equally long by the examiner and the patient
- Weber Test: Same tone loudness heard equally in both ears.
Critical Findings and Potential Interventions
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Bladh, Mickey Lynn., and Anne M. Van Leeuwen. "Tuning Fork Tests." Davis's Lab & Diagnostic Tests, 7th ed., F.A. Davis Company, 2017. Nursing Central, nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Davis-Lab-and-Diagnostic-Tests/425066/all/Tuning_Fork_Tests.
Bladh ML, Van Leeuwen AM. Tuning Fork Tests. Davis's Lab & Diagnostic Tests. 7th ed. F.A. Davis Company; 2017. https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Davis-Lab-and-Diagnostic-Tests/425066/all/Tuning_Fork_Tests. Accessed November 18, 2019.
Bladh, M. L., & Van Leeuwen, A. M. (2017). Tuning Fork Tests. In Davis's Lab & Diagnostic Tests. Available from https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Davis-Lab-and-Diagnostic-Tests/425066/all/Tuning_Fork_Tests
Bladh ML, Van Leeuwen AM. Tuning Fork Tests [Internet]. In: Davis's Lab & Diagnostic Tests. F.A. Davis Company; 2017. [cited 2019 November 18]. Available from: https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Davis-Lab-and-Diagnostic-Tests/425066/all/Tuning_Fork_Tests.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Tuning Fork Tests
ID - 425066
A1 - Bladh,Mickey Lynn,
AU - Van Leeuwen,Anne M,
BT - Davis's Laboratory & Diagnostic Tests
UR - https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Davis-Lab-and-Diagnostic-Tests/425066/all/Tuning_Fork_Tests
PB - F.A. Davis Company
ET - 7
DB - Nursing Central
DP - Unbound Medicine