To hear audio pronunciation of this topic, purchase a subscription or log in.
[L. sutura, a seam]
1. The line of union in an immovable articulation, as those between the skull bones or the articulation itself.
SYN: SEE: sutura
SEE: raphe; SEE: synarthrosis
2. An operation in which soft tissues of the body are united by stitching them together.
3. The thread, wire, or other material used to stitch parts of the body together.
4. The seam or line of union formed by surgical stitches.
5. To unite by stitching.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Venes, Donald, editor. "Suture." Taber's Medical Dictionary, 24th ed., F.A. Davis Company, 2021. Nursing Central, nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/737943/all/quilled_suture.
Suture. In: Venes DD, ed. Taber's Medical Dictionary. F.A. Davis Company; 2021. https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/737943/all/quilled_suture. Accessed May 31, 2023.
Suture. (2021). In Venes, D. (Ed.), Taber's Medical Dictionary (24th ed.). F.A. Davis Company. https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/737943/all/quilled_suture
Suture [Internet]. In: Venes DD, editors. Taber's Medical Dictionary. F.A. Davis Company; 2021. [cited 2023 May 31]. Available from: https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/737943/all/quilled_suture.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - suture ID - 737943 ED - Venes,Donald, BT - Taber's Medical Dictionary UR - https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/737943/all/quilled_suture PB - F.A. Davis Company ET - 24 DB - Nursing Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -