To hear audio pronunciation of this topic, purchase a subscription or log in.
1. To give up or substitute something for something else, e.g., in physiology, to replace a potassium ion with an ion of sodium.
2. In dietetics, the substitution of an equivalent amount of one food substance for another so that the caloric intake remains the same. Exchange diets are used frequently to help manage diabetes mellitus, and they have been adapted for use in proprietary weight loss programs.
3. In peritoneal dialysis, to drain fluid from the peritoneal cavity and replace it with fresh dialysate.
4. In the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2009, a virtual health insurance marketplace, in which health insurance customers can compare the value of different insurance plans.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Venes, Donald, editor. "Exchange." Taber's Medical Dictionary, 24th ed., F.A. Davis Company, 2021. Nursing Central, nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/756407/all/exchange.
Exchange. In: Venes DD, ed. Taber's Medical Dictionary. F.A. Davis Company; 2021. https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/756407/all/exchange. Accessed May 27, 2023.
Exchange. (2021). In Venes, D. (Ed.), Taber's Medical Dictionary (24th ed.). F.A. Davis Company. https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/756407/all/exchange
Exchange [Internet]. In: Venes DD, editors. Taber's Medical Dictionary. F.A. Davis Company; 2021. [cited 2023 May 27]. Available from: https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/756407/all/exchange.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - exchange ID - 756407 ED - Venes,Donald, BT - Taber's Medical Dictionary UR - https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/756407/all/exchange PB - F.A. Davis Company ET - 24 DB - Nursing Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -