Complementary/Alternative Medicine: This monograph describes a natural or herbal product that is not subject to FDA guidelines for medicines. Patients and clinicians are advised to read package labels carefully to ensure safe and efficacious use.
- pineal hormone
Sleep disorders (including insomnia, jet lag and circadian rhythm disorders)
Melatonin is a hormone secreted from the pineal gland in a 24-hour circadian rhythm, regulating the normal sleep/wake cycle. As a supplement, melatonin has both phase-shifting and sleep-promoting properties. In addition to promoting sleep, physiologic roles of melatonin include regulation of the secretion of growth hormone and gonadotropic hormones. It also possesses antioxidant activity.
Improved sleep pattern.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown
- Pregnancy and lactation.
Use Cautiously in:
- Seizure disorders;
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
CNS: drowsiness, headache, dizziness
GI: nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps
* CAPITALS indicate life-threatening.
Underline indicate most frequent.
Natural Drug Interaction
- Additive sedation with CNS depressants..
- May increase bleeding risk with antiplatelet agents and anticoagulants..
- May interfere with the glucose lowering effects of hypoglycemic agents..
- May decrease effectiveness of nifedipine..
PO (Adults): 0.3–10 mg daily at bedtime.
Tablets: 3 mg
- Assess sleep patterns before and periodically throughout therapy.
Lab Test Considerations:
Monitor blood glucose, coagulation panel, hormone panel, and lipid panel periodically during therapy.
- Insomnia (Indications)
- PO Administer before bedtime.
- Instruct patient to take at bedtime as directed.
- Causes drowsiness. Caution patient to avoid driving and other activities requiring alertness until response to medication is known.
- Caution patient to avoid concurrent use of alcohol or other CNS depressants.
- Advise female patient to notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breastfeeding.
Relief of insomnia.
Nursing Central is an award-winning, complete mobile solution for nurses and students. Look up information on diseases, tests, and procedures; then consult the database with 5,000+ drugs or refer to 65,000+ dictionary terms. Complete Product Information.