Complementary/Alternative Medicine: This monograph describes a natural or herbal product that is not subject to FDA guidelines for medicines. Patients and clinicians are advised to read package labels carefully to ensure safe and efficacious use.
- Rosmarinus officinalis
- compass plant/weed
- polar plant
hair regrowth stimulants
- Alopecia areata.
- Inducing abortion.
Essential oil has a spasmonthlytic effect on gastrointestinal smooth muscle, positive inotropic effect on heart, and increases coronary and menstrual blood flow. Topical use irritates the skin and increases blood circulation.
- Improved hair growth.
- Menstrual flow stimulant.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown
Use Cautiously in:
- Seizure disorders;
- Ingestion of undiluted essential oil can be toxic and cause significant adverse effects.
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
Derm: contact dermatitis
GI: nausea, vomiting
GU: uterine bleeding
* CAPITALS indicate life-threatening.
Underline indicate most frequent.
Natural Drug Interaction
- ↑risk of seizures with drugs that lower seizure threshold.
- ↑risk of bleeding with antiplatelet agents or anticoagulants.
PO (Adults) 1–2 g of crude leaf/150 mL water ingested three times daily as tea .
Topical (Adults) 3 drops of rosemary oil (114 mg) in combination with other essential oils massage into scalp nightly for 2 minutes with a warm towel around head to increase absorption .
- Assess amount of alopecia prior to and periodically during therapy.
Lab Test Considerations:
Monitor blood sugar and serum electrolytes periodically during therapy.
- Deficient knowledge, related to medication regimen (Patient/Family/Teaching)
- PO Administer as directed.
- Topical Mix 3 drops of rosemary oil (114 mg) in combination with other essential oils massage into scalp nightly for 2 minutes with a warm towel around head to increase absorption.
- Instruct patient to take or use rosemary as directed.
- Caution female patients to avoid using rosemary and notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breastfeeding. May lead to abortion.
Improved hair growth.
Nursing Central is the award-winning, complete mobile solution for nurses and students. Look up information on diseases, tests, and procedures; then consult the database with 5,000+ drugs or refer to 65,000+ dictionary terms. Complete Product Information.