Complementary/Alternative Medicine: This monograph describes a natural or herbal product that is not subject to FDA guidelines for medicines. Patients and clinicians are advised to read package labels carefully to ensure safe and efficacious use.
- Lavandula angustifolia
hair regrowth stimulants
- Alopecia areata.
Lavender decreases EEG potentials and decreases alertness and seems to induce relaxation and sedation. Lavender's stimulant effect on hair growth is not fully understood.
- Improved hair growth.
- Improved sleep.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown
Use Cautiously in:
- Children (topical use in prepubertal boys may result in gynecomastia).
- Discontinue use 2 wk prior to elective surgical procedures (additive CNS depressant effects with anesthetic agents).
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
Derm: dermatitis (with topical use)
GI: constipation, increased appetite
Endo: gynecomastia (with topical use in prepubertal boys)
* CAPITALS indicate life-threatening.
Underline indicate most frequent.
Natural Drug Interaction
Lavender can potentiate the therapeutics effects of barbiturates,andCNS depressants..
PO (Adults) Depression–60 drops/day tincture of lavender (1:5 in 50% alcohol) for 4 weeks.
Topical (Adults) Alopecia areata–3 drops (108 mg) of lavender oil.
Inhaln (Adults) Insomnia–vaporized lavender oil has been used as aromatherapy.
- Assess mood and sleep pattern periodically during therapy.
Lab Test Considerations:
Monitor lipid levels and coagulation panel periodically during therapy.
- Sleep deprivation (Indications)
- PO Diluted tincture may be taken in alcohol or tea.
- Topical Combine with other essential oils and massage into scalp nightly for 2 minutes with a warm towel around head to increase absorption.
- Instruct patient to dilute and take as directed. Undiluted essential oil of lavender may be poisonous if taken by mouth.
- Instruct patient in correct technique for use for alopecia.
- Advise female patient to notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breastfeeding.
- Improvement in sleep pattern and mood.
- Reduction of alopecia.
Nursing Central is an award-winning, complete mobile solution for nurses and students. Look up information on diseases, tests, and procedures; then consult the database with 5,000+ drugs or refer to 65,000+ dictionary terms. Complete Product Information.