Complementary/Alternative Medicine: This monograph describes a natural or herbal product that is not subject to FDA guidelines for medicines. Patients and clinicians are advised to read package labels carefully to ensure safe and efficacious use.
- thymus polypeptides
allergy, cold and cough remedies
- Respiratory infections.
- Allergic rhinitis.
- Food allergies.
Thymus extract is derived from bovine thymus glands. It induces T-lymphocyte maturation, stimulates T-cell proliferation, enhances mature T-cell function and has indirect effects on macrophages and B-cell functions. It also reduces airway hyperresponsiveness to methacholine in atopic asthma patients.
- Improved immune function.
- Reduced acute asthma attacks.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown
- Immunocompromised patients should only use products that are certified pathogen-free to reduce the risk of infection from diseased animal parts.
Use Cautiously in:
Pregnancy and lactation.
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
Misc: Potential risk of contamination from diseased animal parts.
* CAPITALS indicate life-threatening.
Underline indicate most frequent.
Natural Drug Interaction
Avoid use with immunosuppressants unless products are certified pathogen-free.
PO (Adults) 750 mg/day of crude thymus polypeptide fraction or 120 mg/day of pure thymus polypeptides (thymomodulin).
- Assess symptoms of cold or allergies related to the purpose thymus extract is being taken.
- Risk for infection (Indications)
- PO Administer as recommended.
- Discuss with patient purpose for taking thymus extract.
- Advise patient to notify health care professional of all Rx or OTC medications, vitamins, or herbal products being taken and to consult with health care professional before taking other medications.
- Advise female patient to notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breastfeeding.
Improvement in symptoms of cold or allergic rhinitis.
Nursing Central is an award-winning, complete mobile solution for nurses and students. Look up information on diseases, tests, and procedures; then consult the database with 5,000+ drugs or refer to 65,000+ dictionary terms. Complete Product Information.