Cystometrography (CMG), urodynamic testing of bladder function.
To assess bladder function related to obstruction, neurogenic pathology, and infection including evaluation of surgical, and medical management.
There are no food, fluid, activity, or medication restrictions unless by medical direction.
- Normal filling pattern
- Normal sensory perception of bladder fullness, desire to void, and ability to inhibit urination; appropriate response to temperature (hot and cold)
- Normal bladder capacity: 250 to 450 mL. Bladder size and corresponding capacity vary with gender and age; in the pediatric patient, the normal bladder stretches to maximum capacity without an increase in pressure
- Amount of postvoid residual urine is less than 30 to 50 mL
- Normal functioning bladder pressure: 8 to 15 cm H2O
- Normal bladder pressure increases 30 to 40 cm H2O during voiding
- Normal detrusor pressure: Less than 10 cm H2O
- Normal first urge to void: 175 to 250 mL; sensation of fullness and need to empty the bladder: 350 to 450 mL
- Urethral pressure that is higher than bladder pressure, ensuring continence.
Critical Findings and Potential Interventions
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Van Leeuwen, Anne M., and Mickey Lynn. Bladh. "Cystometry." Davis's Lab & Diagnostic Tests, 7th ed., F.A. Davis Company, 2017. Nursing Central, nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Davis-Lab-and-Diagnostic-Tests/425013/0/Cystometry.
Van Leeuwen AMA, Bladh MLM. Cystometry. Davis's Lab & Diagnostic Tests. F.A. Davis Company; 2017. https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Davis-Lab-and-Diagnostic-Tests/425013/0/Cystometry. Accessed June 1, 2023.
Van Leeuwen, A. M., & Bladh, M. L. (2017). Cystometry. In Davis's Lab & Diagnostic Tests (7th ed.). F.A. Davis Company. https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Davis-Lab-and-Diagnostic-Tests/425013/0/Cystometry
Van Leeuwen AMA, Bladh MLM. Cystometry [Internet]. In: Davis's Lab & Diagnostic Tests. F.A. Davis Company; 2017. [cited 2023 June 01]. Available from: https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Davis-Lab-and-Diagnostic-Tests/425013/0/Cystometry.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Cystometry ID - 425013 A1 - Bladh,Mickey Lynn, AU - Van Leeuwen,Anne M, BT - Davis's Laboratory & Diagnostic Tests UR - https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Davis-Lab-and-Diagnostic-Tests/425013/0/Cystometry PB - F.A. Davis Company ET - 7 DB - Nursing Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -