To hear audio pronunciation of this topic, purchase a subscription or log in.
[L. generatio, a begetting, generating]
1. The act of reproducing offspring.
2. A group of animals or plants the same distance removed from an ancestor, as the first filial (F1) generation.
SEE: filial generation
3. The average period of time between the birth of parents and the birth of their children. This time could be 16 to 20 years in some cultures and 20 to 25 years in others. The time would also be different if only mothers were considered in computing this average, unless all marriages occurred between persons of the same age.
4. The production of an electric current.
5. In biomechanics, informatics, and pharmacology, a newly developed version of a previously used agent, e.g., a “second-generation antibiotic,” or a “third-generation valve.”
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Venes, Donald, editor. "Generation." Taber's Medical Dictionary, 24th ed., F.A. Davis Company, 2021. Nursing Central, nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/729536/all/generation.
Generation. In: Venes DD, ed. Taber's Medical Dictionary. F.A. Davis Company; 2021. https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/729536/all/generation. Accessed June 7, 2023.
Generation. (2021). In Venes, D. (Ed.), Taber's Medical Dictionary (24th ed.). F.A. Davis Company. https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/729536/all/generation
Generation [Internet]. In: Venes DD, editors. Taber's Medical Dictionary. F.A. Davis Company; 2021. [cited 2023 June 07]. Available from: https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/729536/all/generation.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - generation ID - 729536 ED - Venes,Donald, BT - Taber's Medical Dictionary UR - https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/729536/all/generation PB - F.A. Davis Company ET - 24 DB - Nursing Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -