To hear audio pronunciation of this topic, purchase a subscription or log in.
[L. compensatio, a counterbalance]
1. The restoration of a normal physiological state by one organ when another is malfunctioning. For example, in metabolic acidosis, hyperventilation reduces the partial pressure of carbon dioxide in the body to elevate the pH back toward a normal level.
2. In psychology and psychiatry, the defense mechanism in which a person who feels inadequate, e.g., because of neuroses, character defects, or a physical disability, makes up for this perception by stressing or using other personal strengths and assets. Sublimation is often similar but differs by substituting a higher social goal to gratify the infrasocial drive by replacement rather than by only camouflaging.
3. Restitution by payment to a person injured, e.g., in the workplace.
4. Wages, fee, or salary for work done or services rendered.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Venes, Donald, editor. "Compensation." Taber's Medical Dictionary, 24th ed., F.A. Davis Company, 2021. Nursing Central, nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/730522/all/compensation.
Compensation. In: Venes DD, ed. Taber's Medical Dictionary. F.A. Davis Company; 2021. https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/730522/all/compensation. Accessed June 3, 2023.
Compensation. (2021). In Venes, D. (Ed.), Taber's Medical Dictionary (24th ed.). F.A. Davis Company. https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/730522/all/compensation
Compensation [Internet]. In: Venes DD, editors. Taber's Medical Dictionary. F.A. Davis Company; 2021. [cited 2023 June 03]. Available from: https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/730522/all/compensation.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - compensation ID - 730522 ED - Venes,Donald, BT - Taber's Medical Dictionary UR - https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/730522/all/compensation PB - F.A. Davis Company ET - 24 DB - Nursing Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -