To hear audio pronunciation of this topic, purchase a subscription or log in.
[Gr. sphongos, spongos, a sponge]
1. An elastic, porous mass forming the internal skeleton of certain marine animals, or a rubber or synthetic substance that resembles a sponge in properties and appearance.
SYN: SEE: spongia
2. An absorbent pad made of gauze and cotton used to absorb fluids and blood in surgery or to dress wounds.
CAUTION: If sponges are used in surgery, they must carry a radioopaque marker to facilitate their identification.
3. Short term for sponge bath.
4. To moisten, clean, cool, or wipe with a sponge.
SPONGE Foam sponge, drapes, and suction wafer
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Venes, Donald, editor. "Sponge." Taber's Medical Dictionary, 24th ed., F.A. Davis Company, 2021. Nursing Central, nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/734231/all/sponge.
Sponge. In: Venes DD, ed. Taber's Medical Dictionary. F.A. Davis Company; 2021. https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/734231/all/sponge. Accessed June 2, 2023.
Sponge. (2021). In Venes, D. (Ed.), Taber's Medical Dictionary (24th ed.). F.A. Davis Company. https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/734231/all/sponge
Sponge [Internet]. In: Venes DD, editors. Taber's Medical Dictionary. F.A. Davis Company; 2021. [cited 2023 June 02]. Available from: https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/734231/all/sponge.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - sponge ID - 734231 ED - Venes,Donald, BT - Taber's Medical Dictionary UR - https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/734231/all/sponge PB - F.A. Davis Company ET - 24 DB - Nursing Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -