[Fr. recoverer fr. L. recuperare, to regain]
1. The process or act of becoming well or returning to a state of health.
2. Compensation awarded by a court to the party that prevailed in a lawsuit.
3. Emergence from anesthesia.
4. In sports medicine, the return to baseline metabolic functioning after exercising.
5. The return of someone with mental illness (or drug dependence) to a healthful, safe, and stable relationship with him- or herself and/or the community.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.