[L. distractio, a pulling apart, separation]
1. A state of mental confusion or derangement.
2. A disruption or interruption that prevents a person from completing a task or from focusing attention on a task.
3. An attempt to redirect a patient's attention from a painful or noxious stimulus to another, more pleasant one.
4. Separation of joint surfaces by extension without injury or dislocation of the parts.
5. A joint mobilization technique causing separation of opposing joint surfaces, used to inhibit pain, move synovial fluid, or stretch a tight joint capsule.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.