To hear audio pronunciation of this topic, purchase a subscription or log in.
[Fr. fr. L. nutrix, nurse]
1. One who provides health care. The extent of participation varies from simple patient care to the most expert professional techniques necessary in acute, life-threatening situations. The ability of a nurse to make self-directed judgments and to act independently will depend on professional background, motivation, and opportunity for professional development. The health care team includes the technical nurse, who is technique-oriented, deals with commonly recurring nursing problems and knows standardized procedures and medically delegated techniques. Also included is the professional nurse, who is prepared to assume responsibility for the care of individuals and groups in collaboration with a physician. The roles of nurses constantly change in response to the growth of biomedical knowledge, changes in patterns of demand for health services, and the evolution of professional relationships among nurses, physicians, and other health care professionals.
2. To feed an infant at the breast.
3. To perform the duties of caring for the sick.
4. To care for a young child.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Venes, Donald, editor. "Nurse." Taber's Medical Dictionary, 24th ed., F.A. Davis Company, 2021. Nursing Central, nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/756348/all/charge_nurse.
Nurse. In: Venes DD, ed. Taber's Medical Dictionary. F.A. Davis Company; 2021. https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/756348/all/charge_nurse. Accessed June 10, 2023.
Nurse. (2021). In Venes, D. (Ed.), Taber's Medical Dictionary (24th ed.). F.A. Davis Company. https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/756348/all/charge_nurse
Nurse [Internet]. In: Venes DD, editors. Taber's Medical Dictionary. F.A. Davis Company; 2021. [cited 2023 June 10]. Available from: https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/756348/all/charge_nurse.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - nurse ID - 756348 ED - Venes,Donald, BT - Taber's Medical Dictionary UR - https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/756348/all/charge_nurse PB - F.A. Davis Company ET - 24 DB - Nursing Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -