To hear audio pronunciation of this topic, purchase a subscription or log in.
[Fr. contreroller, to keep a duplicate roll or account]
1. To regulate or maintain.
2. The regulation of objects or events by an agent.
3. A standard against which observations or conclusions may be checked to establish their validity, as a control animal (such as one that has not been exposed to the treatment or condition being studied in the other animals).
4. In clinical investigations, a research subject whose age, sex, race, behavior, weight, or health matches as many features of the population being studied as is possible or appropriate. When cases and controls are closely matched, the validity of results increases.
SYN: SEE: control group; SEE: reference group
5. To dominate, coerce, or forcibly manage the behavior of another person.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Venes, Donald, editor. "Control." Taber's Medical Dictionary, 24th ed., F.A. Davis Company, 2021. Nursing Central, nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/761660/all/rhythm_control.
Control. In: Venes DD, ed. Taber's Medical Dictionary. F.A. Davis Company; 2021. https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/761660/all/rhythm_control. Accessed May 28, 2023.
Control. (2021). In Venes, D. (Ed.), Taber's Medical Dictionary (24th ed.). F.A. Davis Company. https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/761660/all/rhythm_control
Control [Internet]. In: Venes DD, editors. Taber's Medical Dictionary. F.A. Davis Company; 2021. [cited 2023 May 28]. Available from: https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/761660/all/rhythm_control.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - control ID - 761660 ED - Venes,Donald, BT - Taber's Medical Dictionary UR - https://nursing.unboundmedicine.com/nursingcentral/view/Tabers-Dictionary/761660/all/rhythm_control PB - F.A. Davis Company ET - 24 DB - Nursing Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -