Complementary/Alternative Medicine: This monograph describes a natural or herbal product that is not subject to FDA guidelines for medicines. Patients and clinicians are advised to read package labels carefully to ensure safe and efficacious use.
- Salvia officinalis
- common sage
- garden sage
- Alzheimer's disease.
- Herpes labialis.
Sage leaf and volatile oil contain active constituents that have antioxidant, CNS depressant, estrogenic, anti-inflammatory and anticholinesterase activity. It may also have hypoglycemic activity. Sage also contains camphor which can cause neurotoxicity and hepatotoxicity in high doses.
Improved cognitive function in Alzheimer's disease.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown
- Pregnancy and lactation.
Use Cautiously in:
- Seizure disorders;
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
CNS: dizziness, agitation, seizures (high doses)
GI: nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, hepatotoxicity (high doses)
* CAPITALS indicate life-threatening.
Underline indicate most frequent.
Natural Drug Interaction
- Additive effects with hypoglycemic agentsand CNS depressants.
- May interfere with the effectiveness of anticonvulsants..
PO (Adults) Alzheimer's disease–1 gram/day of extract.
Topical (Adults) Herpes labialis–apply cream with 23 mg/gram of sage extract every 2–4 hours while awake starting within 1 day of the first symptoms and continuing for 10 to 14 days.
Cream : 23 mg/gram sage extract in combination with rhubarb extract
- Monitor BP periodically during therapy.
- Assess memory and cognitive function periodically during therapy.
- Assess lesions prior to and periodically during therapy.
Lab Test Considerations:
Monitor: blood glucose periodically during therapy.
- Deficient knowledge, related to disease process and medication regimen (Patient/Family/Teaching)
- PO Administer as directed.
- Topical Apply to lesions every 2–4 hrs while awake.
- Instruct patient how to take or administer sage.
- Instruct patient to notify health care professional of all Rx or OTC medications, vitamins, or herbal products being taken and to consult with health care professional before taking other medications.
- Advice female patient to avoid taking more than is in normal food intake. Notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breastfeeding.
- Improved cognitive function in patients with Alzheimer's disease.
- Healing of lesions in herpes labialis.
Nursing Central is the award-winning, complete mobile solution for nurses and students. Look up information on diseases, tests, and procedures; then consult the database with 5,000+ drugs or refer to 65,000+ dictionary terms. Complete Product Information.