[L. involvere, to roll up, wrap]
1. A turning or rolling inward.
2. The reduction in size of the uterus after childbirth.
3. The retrogressive change in vital processes after their functions have been fulfilled, such as the change that follows the menopause.
4. A backward change.
5. The diminishing of an organ in vital power or in size.
6. In bacteriology, digression from the usual morphological type such as occurs in certain bacteria, esp. when grown under unfavorable conditions; degeneration.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.